Inspirations

I have really been inspired by many other photographers throughout my career. As I reflect back on who has inspired me the most the one thing they had in common was not their amazing talent, because that is a given, but it was their desire and ability to just be themselves! They pushed the boundaries and broke the rules and they do what makes them happy. They didn't conform to what people wanted them to be but they created and did what they loved.

I think this applies to all aspects of life. Just be you, just be who makes you happy. Life is a cycle and we are  all turning 'round. So as you see yourself becoming someone you dislike or are not proud of you can change that and go back around to that person you want to be.

As easy as it might sound to just "be yourself" I think to some this is quite a challenge. We are surrounded by media's portrayal of beauty and perfection through commercials, magazines, and billboards. We are constantly told that we are not good enough and are always reminded that there is some way we need to change.  "As women we are all distinct, unique, beautiful." Let's embrace the beauty we are now because we are ever changing. 

We are all perfectly imperfect!


***
Sally Mann was one of the first photographers who really caught my soul and taught me to just be me. This is one of my favorite images of hers and what I love so much about her work is she used those she loved the most in her images, her family. 

2 comments:

  1. Love that you love Sally Mann. This is one of my favorites: http://oddstuffmagazine.com/black-and-white-photographs-by-sally-mann.html/attachment/47279

    I wonder what her kids look like now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a documentary I watched of her and how her kids felt of the lifestyle they grew up with and how they felt about their mom's work. It was quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author